Did you know the biggest killer of men aged between 16 and 44 is…… themselves!
Each day 7 men in Australia take their own lives and another 82 men call an ambulance due to suicidal thoughts or attempts. We are sure you are all as shocked as us when we first heard these stats, and to be honest, it shocks us every time we have heard it since.
Vida is excited to announce our partnership with 100 Words Mate to Mate, as we look to help make a difference through awareness, connection, and education. Mental health has or will touch someone close to us all!
100 Words mate to mate’s vision is to create a national network of active local communities to improve men’s mental health and reduce male suicides. The mission is to create happier generations of men through real conversations and connections to local communities.
We aim to support 100 Words Mate to Mate to bring about the following outcomes:
- Stronger Connections: We want males to get beyond the superficial discussions with each other and be open and honest about their mental health.
- Reducing stigma: We want all parts of the community talking about suicide and mental health. Taking action to maintain good mental health and reduce judgment of those struggling.
- Encouraging help-giving: We want more men to be confident and capable of checking in on those mates whom are experiencing emotional distress.
- Encouraging help-seeking: We want people experiencing emotional distress to have a way to seek help from the people around them as early as possible.
- Education: We want to create learning opportunities to build awareness of mental health issues, triggers, and tools to support those around them.
OUR VISION FOR THE PARTNERSHIP
The Vida Vision for the partnership is to encourage guys to connect more with their mates, dads, brothers…all the good blokes in their lives! Tennis, sport, physical health, and fitness will be our vehicle for community connection, awareness creation, and education for men’s mental health. We want to promote long term sustainable community connection opportunities to create happier generations and prevent suicide.
HOW WILL WE FACILITATE CONNECTION?
To launch the partnership we will be hosting an event at the Veneto Club in Bulleen which will include tennis, fitness, footy, and sporting opportunities for the men in our community. Our aim will be for the men in our community to bring a mate along for the evening.
Following the sporting fun, there will be a social BBQ function, a guest speaker panel, and plenty of time to connect. On the night will introduce case studies, real-life experiences, and our ongoing Mate to Mate at 8 programs in 2021.
More details about this event will be made available in the coming weeks.
You can find out more about 100 words Mate to Mate on their website but first, you can view an interview with tennis player Sam Groth on their weekly mate to mate at 8 podcasts.
Sam actually played competition tennis for the Veneto Club at age 16 and 17 and was part of the club’s state grade team.